Service contracts are a relatively new form of legal vehicle, so much so that different state laws disagree on issues as fundamental as what kind of contract a service contract qualifies as. For example:
- In Florida, service contracts have a unique regulatory approach that is perhaps the most comprehensive in the country, with specific provisions for each major branch of service contract.
- There is a patchwork of regulation for service contracts throughout the country–many states have adopted some variation of the NAIC’s model Services Contract Act, but even among those states, the Acts may or may not apply to different branches of service contracture (i.e. Motor Vehicle, Appliance, Residential, etc.).
- Other states have adopted exemptions from regulation for service contracts, and still others have no statute or regulation directly regulating service contracts and may, in some cases, treat the products as insurance.
Over the past five years, there have been significant changes to the regulation of Motor Vehicle Service Contracts throughout the country, including recent legislative amendments in Indiana, Maryland, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Utah.
As the above might indicate, Motor Vehicle Service Contract law is a regulatory environment both irregular and quickly-evolving. It requires an attorney with substantial experience not just with service contract law in specific, but also with lobbying, challenging, and of course carefully heeding the regulatory bodies that oversee that law. Meenan P.A. attorneys have that experience. We act, for example, as Motor Vehicle Service Contract lawyers for clients such as the Motor Vehicle Ancillary Products Association (MVAPA); not only helping MVAPA to remain compliant, but lobbying and litigating to obtain specific regulatory results that help accomplish their goals.
We have established a strong track record of successfully assisting national service contract and extended warranty programs in achieving regulatory compliance across all 50 states and at the Federal level. Some of our clients required nothing more than an overview of what the regulations were; for others, we provided a full-service internal compliance program, including but not limited to:
- Licensure and/or registration for each state that required it;
- Comprehensive analysis of all Motor Vehicle Service Contract-related materials;
- Review and filing of all requisite paperwork;
- Preparation of administration contracts.
Meenan P.A. has been working closely with the bodies that regulate Motor Vehicle Service Contracts for years, and we have cultivated a network of contacts within the staff of each state agency that regulates those contracts. This helps us stay informed on all the latest regulatory developments, and helps us secure positions in developing regulation and resolving outstanding issues in existing regulation.
As the regulatory environment surrounding Motor Vehicle Service Contracts evolves, our firm is committed to guiding our clients in understanding, adapting to, and (when necessary) combating that evolution.